The Raven


Here's the trailer for "The Raven" starring John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe. It is something that I have been eagerly anticipating.  Yet, after viewing it I feel a bit underwhelmed.

It seems sufficiently gruesome with the right touch of the macabre but if I am going to put my finger on what's bothering me with it I would have to say it is John Cusack as Poe.  At face value (literally) he looks perfect for the role.  Maybe a little too good looking but this is Hollywood after all.

I think what is bothering me is Cusack's Poe doesn't seem damaged enough.   I expected a portrayal of Poe to reflect someone that is withdrawn, skittish and, yes, overtly damaged.  Hopefully I am wrong.  Perhaps this movie will outline the reasons for Poe's withdrawal and his bitterness.  Maybe the movie will conclude with Poe's real life fate where he was found sickly and delirious and soon succumbed to a mysterious death.

One can only hope!

In the meantime I will sit beneath my bust of Pallas and wait for the answers that will come gently rapping at my chamber door.


Comments

Popular Posts